Friday, June 11, 2010

Spelling Bee

Emma's school decided to host a spelling bee for the kids after Sydney shared about the movie Akeelya and the Bee one day at school. Spelling bee lists came home week after week in preparation for the first ever bee. Let me tell you, those words were so hard! Lacquer, requirement, chimpanzee, leprechaun...my goodness! These kids are in kindergarten and first grade and they were getting these words correct!
I was sooo nervous for her. I wanted her to do so well. She was very relaxed about the whole thing, but I had so many butterflies in my stomach! Emma's first word was, ____(it's slipping my mind right now! Will have to update when I remember!). She passed round one with flying colors. Whew! Next, her word was yesterday. She said, "y-e-s-t-e-d-a-y." She raced through the word and then realized she skipped a letter. I was so sad :( My heart broke for her, but she was totally fine with it and skipped back to her seat like it was nothing! I was very proud of her for being so mature and not getting upset. I wanted to cry for her though!

See...missing a word didn't even phase her...she's all smiles while she watches the rest of her classmates continue on with the competition.
The top 10 from her class of 55 were now set to meet with the top 10 from room P8. Emma's friend, Kaitlyn-a kindergartener-won the whole thing the following week! Great job Kaitlyn!

My sweet baby girl was very proud of her spelling bee participant certificate. I am so proud of you too!

June 11, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment